A man who was the Chancellor Of U.C – Santa Cruz for 10 years, and left a lasting legacy in the scientific world, has passed away. Bob Sinsheimer, who was in his late 90’s, died Saturday. His family asks that people who would like to contribute money in his name, make the donations to the U.C.- Santa Cruz Foundation. A memorial service is being planned.
The owners of a parcel on the West Side of Santa Cruz have applied to build some new structures on their property. The “Court Of Mysteries” is located on Fair Avenue. Because the owners want to construct more housing units on the Historic Landmark Property, they will have to divide the land into 2 parcels. One is slated to have a Single-Family Dwelling, with an Accessory Dwelling Unit (over the garage); and the other would have 3 condominiums.
The winter storms did an estimated 60 million dollars in damage in Monterey county, and a new Storm Response Plan has been approved by Monterey county supervisors. There are now 2 lists of prioritized projects….that are separated by which can be done this fiscal year, and which will have to wait until next fiscal year. Some of the projects, that are expected to be worked on between now and June 30, include the following 4:
- Palo Colorado slope erosion repair and pipe replacement at rocky creek
- Elkhorn Road repair and restoration
- Cachagua Road repair
- pavement patching and repairing of a variety of sinkholes
3 people suffered serious injuries in a 4-vehicle crash during this morning’s commute. The accident took place when the driver of a car on Hall Road in Las Lomas, tried to pass a truck and ended up colliding with another vehicle head-on. One of those 2 vehicles then crossed into the other lane and was t-boned by a 4th vehicle.
(09:50) Salinas - A Salinas Women’s shelter is scheduled to close at the end of the month. The Women Alive shelter says the closure is due to a lack of funding. The shelter is located inside Dorothy’s Place, a hospitality center for the homeless. The shelter serves more than 200 women a year and provides shelter to more than a dozen. The goal is to have the shelter reopen in two months. In order to reach that goal, the staff needs to raise $50,000. If you'd like to help Dorothy's Place raise money for the Women Alive shelter visit: www.dorothysplace.org.
More Articles ...
- April 25, 2017: Portion of Highway 35 Fully Closed Today
- April 25, 2017: Vehicle Stop Results in Arrest
- April 25, 2017: Two South Monterey County Fires
- April 25, 2017: Police Seek Public’s Help
- Motorcyclist Died in Highway 101 Crash 04/24/17B 23:03 S.S.
- Salinas Man Convicted 04/24/17B 21:04 S.S.
- Disaster Loans Still Available 04/24/17B 20:55 S.S.
- Evander Holyfield Was Here 04/24/17B 18:03 S.S.
- PG Butterfly Sanctuary 04/24/17B 17:54 S.S.
- Farm Workers Working Illegally 04/24/17 13:48 rlm