KSCO Live Show: 831-479-1080 KSCO Office: 831-475-1080

Important! For Dead Doctors Don't Lie Use: 888-379-2552

Local News

KSCO's dedicated news staff brings local news to life from 6am- 1pm & 4pm - 6pm M-F.

Susan Simon (News Director) - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
David Coursey - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Claudia Iseman - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Phillip Diseth - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
Josh Stephens - This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Any News Tips Please Feel Free to Call Us: 831-475-1080

Trump Cuts $200 Mil CA Abortion Funding 12-16-20 17:49 DC

The Trump administration said Wednesday it was cutting $200 million in federal healthcare funding to California because the state requires insurance providers to cover abortions.

The U.S. Department of Health and Human Services said it will withhold the funding from Medicaid in the new fiscal quarter starting in January and “if the state does not come into compliance” the department will cut an additional $200 million per fiscal quarter.

The administration warned California earlier this year that it could lose federal funding over a 2014 regulation mandating that employers and private insurance plans pay for abortions.

Print Email

CHP Stops 100 MPH Vans 12-16-20 17:12 DC

The California Highway Patrol has arrested two drivers it’s accused of racing at an unsafe speed and driving under the influence.

The drivers were stopped for taking part in a race between Santa Cruz and Capitola where they got above 100 mph.

A DUI investigation found that both drivers were under the influence. One of the involved vehicles had a teenage driver with several teenage passengers.

Print Email

Stay-at-Home: Bay Area Falls Below 15 percent ICU Capacity 12-16-20 16:33 DC

The Bay Area region has dropped below 15% ICU capacity. That means it has passed the threshold that triggers a mandatory stay at home order.

ICU capacity is currently at 12.9%. Regions with an ICU capacity below 15% will be under a regional stay at home order for at least three weeks. After the three weeks, it will be lifted if the projected ICU capacity meets or exceeds 15%.

Several counties, including Monterey County, started the order early, but Santa Cruz County will now be required to join them starting at 11:59 p.m. Thursday.

The Southern California, San Joaquin Valley, and Greater Sacramento regions are already under regional stay-at-home orders.

Under stay-at-home orders, critical infrastructure, schools, non-urgent medical and dental care, and child care and preschools are allowed to remain open with precautions. Playgrounds are also allowed to remain open.

 

 

Print Email

Debris Removal Deadline Extended 12-16-20 11:20 S.S.

Survivors of the CZU Lightning Complex fires now have until Dec. 19, 2020 to sign up for public or private debris removal services and complete right-of-entry forms. Residents with fire-damaged properties may opt for free, public-option debris removal services, which may include the removal of damaged structures, vehicles and hazardous trees. Private debris removal services are also allowed provided residents first obtain approval from the County.

Property owners may also make call Santa Cruz County Environmental Health at 831-454-2022. (While County offices are closed Saturday, Dec. 19, right-of-entry forms will be accepted online until 11:59 p.m..)

Structural remains and toxic ash pose a significant threat to human (and environmental) health, and must be properly disposed of in order to protect public health and safety.

Property owners with fire-damaged structures must enroll in the debris removal program by Dec. 19 or risk being charged for county-managed cleanup services.

Structures of 120 square feet or less my be subject to exemption from the debris removal process.

 

Once debris removal is completed, property owners will receive a certificate of

completion from Santa Cruz County Environmental Health. The Santa Cruz County Planning Department will not approve temporary housing permit applications or rebuilding permits unless the property owner can produce a completion certificate.

For more on the rebuilding process, visit the Recovery Permit Center at:

sccoplanning.com

 

For the free public option, the County will collect from private insurance companies any funds available to cover cleanup costs once the homeowner has been paid for non-covered removal activities (such as retaining wall or swimming pools). Homeowners will not be subject to any out-of-pocket costs.

Print Email

DEATH PENALTY IN CA 12-16-20 09:24 S.S.

Some California lawmakers are reportedly working to put an end to the Death Penalty in California. To that end, a bill has been introduced that would not only abolish the Death Penalty, but also require the re-sentencing of inmates that are on death row. There are currently more than 700 death row inmates.

Print Email