Bay Area conservation groups have proposed to convert 5,843 acres of Santa Cruz Coast into a national monument. The Sempervirens Fund, along with the Nature Conservancy, Save the Redwoods League, The Santa Cruz County Land Trust, and the Peninsula Open Space Trust are pushing for the Coast Dairies property to become a national park. If declared so by President Obama, this new monument would be called the Santa Cruz Redwoods National Monument. For more information about the project, visit santacruzredwoods.org.
Salinas police are searching for two men responsible for the armed robbery of the O’Reilly Auto Parts in Salinas Friday night. Both suspects were armed with handguns when one suspect demanded money from the store’s manager, while the other controlled the customers inside. Anyone with information about this robbery is encouraged to contact Salinas police.
Santa Cruz police are still searching for the suspect responsible for the fatal hit-and-run accident that occurred on December 26th. The incident took place on Soquel Avenue at Hagemann Avenue when a white truck struck a cyclist. Initially, police thought the vehicle was a 2007 white Toyota Tundra, but after further analysis police believe that the vehicle could also be a 2006 through 2008 white Ford F150 single cab pick-up. Anyone with information about the vehicle or its driver is encouraged to contact the Santa Cruz Police Department.
A playground at Calaveras Elementary School in Hollister was destroyed by fire last night. Officials said that the playground will cost the city of Hollister $100,000. The majority of the structure has already been removed, and firefighters are currently investigating the fire’s cause.
Caltrans has announced some road and lane closures for the Monterey County area. There will be daytime work along Highway 1 at Alder Creek Bridge, Lime Creek Bridge to Fullers Point, Ventana Entrance, and Little Sur River Bridge to Garrapata Creek Bridge Beginning today, January 12th, and lasting through January 16th. During this time, motorists can anticipate delays of up to 10 minutes. Night time paving will also take place on these days at the northbound Highway 1 on ramp at Aquajito Road and Fremont Street from 8 p.m. to 6 a.m., with delays of 15 minutes. Motorists can also expect daytime tree work and guardrail repair between Highway 1 and Highway 68 from January 13th to 16th with expected delays of 5 minutes.
More Articles ...
- Free Cabrillo College Tuition for High Schoolers- 1/12/14 13:30 P.S.
- UC Santa Cruz Police Investigating Series of Car Break-Ins- 1/12/15 10:00 S.G.
- Santa Barbara Smokehouse Recalls Salmon Product- 1/12/15 9:00 S.G.
- Monterey County Jail Escapee Back in Custody- 1/12/15 8:30 S.G.
- Drive-by Shooting in King City Under Investigation- 1/12/15 8:00 S.G.
- Santa Cruz Man Arrested after Breaking into Scotts Valley Home- 1/12/15 8:00 S.G.
- Clean Up at Elkhorn Slough- 1/11/15 17:45 P.M.D.
- New Trail at Fort Ord National Monument Opens- 1/11/15 17:30 P.M.D.
- Man Arrested Following Attempted Murder in Seaside- 1/11/15 17:00 P.M.D.
- Santa Cruz Hosts 42nd Fungus Fair- 1/11/15 16:30 P.M.D.