New DNA evidence gives investigators a better understanding of who was driving the vehicle that crashed into a Salinas mother's car, killing her, last December.
On Tuesday, the Monterey County District Attorney's Office reported that charges against an alleged DUI driver who killed a Salinas woman had been dropped due to new evidence.
CHP investigators said 19-year-old Jacques Martine Clarke was believed to have been driving the vehicle because the car was registered to him, the key fob was found in his pocket, and the front seat seemed better adjusted to his stature rather than the other occupant of the car.
However. a DNA test from the crash showed that Clarke's DNA was on the passenger side airbag. Investigators say that means he could not have been driving the vehicle at the time of the crash.
Print
Email
The California Transportation Commission Wednesday approved $107.2 million in grant funding for the Santa Cruz County Regional Transportation Commission’s Watsonville-Santa Cruz Multimodal Corridor Program.
Officials say the project will increase safety and throughput on this congested corridor with an innovative package of projects to improve and integrate transit, active transportation, and highway/local roadway modes of travel.
It includes improvements on Highway 1 between Soquel Avenue/Drive and State Park Drive and on Soquel Avenue/Drive between La Fonda Avenue, near Harbor High School, to State Park Drive in Aptos.
Print
Email
On Wednesday, the CDC rolled out its revised guidelines for people potentially exposed to the coronavirus. Instead of the standard 14-day quarantine, the CDC now says people should stay away from others for 10 or seven days, depending on test results and symptoms.
---
Anyone with lingering effects of COVID-19 should be extra careful in picking a 2021 health plan. Insurance experts are warning coronavirus long-haulers that they may be forced to join the club of Americans with preexisting conditions that could increase medical expenses.
Print
Email