AN ENVIRONMENTAL GROUP WANTS THE ARMY CORP OF ENGINEERS TO HAVE TO COMPLY WITH CALIFORNIA REGULATIONS, BEFORE WELLS ARE DRILLED ON A CAMBRIA BEACH. THE WELLS ARE FOR A DESALINATION PLANT. LANDWATCH SAN LUIS OBISPO FILED A LAWSUIT ASKING A FEDERAL JUDGE TO ORDER CALIFORNIA COASTAL PERMITS, BEFORE HEAVY EQUIPMENT ROLLS ONTO THE BEACH TO DRILL THOSE WELLS. THAT’S BECAUSE CALIFORNIA COASTAL REGULATIONS ARE MORE STRINGENT THAN FEDERAL REGULATIONS.
Print
Email
The Salinas City Council approved a set of incentives yesterday that would help attract new businesses, along with create new jobs and improve the city’s economic outlook. In a 6 to 0 vote last night, council members approved the package, which is expected to eliminate or reduce the city’s share of property taxes, establish a revolving loan fund and reduce miscellaneous fees, including building permit costs. A spokesman for a local business told the council that such incentives are critical to businesses investigating potential new sites.
Print
Email
A former Pacific Grove resident was arrested yesterday after physically assaulting a U.S. Armed Forces member. The victim, a 20-year old woman, was approached by a group of people on Asilomar Beach (on the 18-hundred block of Sunset Drive) just before noon yesterday, when one of the member’s of the group made a derogatory comment, and threw a beer bottle striking the victim in the head. The woman suffered a laceration to her scalp and was taken to the Community Hospital of the Monterey Peninsula. Officers identified 20-year old Tyler Tirabo as the suspect, arrested and booked him into Monterey County Jail on suspicion of assault with a deadly weapon and assault on military personnel.
Print
Email
Employees at Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital have been offered buyouts in an effort to help cut spending costs. President and C-E-O of Salinas Valley Memorial Hospital says the buyouts are necessary after the economic crisis has left the hospital with 5-million dollars less to reinvest in operations compared with last year’s numbers. Most of the 138 employees offered buyouts are in non-union administration positions, so far, 30 employees have signed up. The deadline to accept the buyout option is this Friday. Hospital staff say positions may be cut even if employees don’t take the option, necessary cuts could be made as early as the next 6 months.
Print
Email