A small fire broke out near salinas this afternoon. Firefighters from the salinas fire department responded to the 5:15 p.m. grass fire. salinas fire department battalion chief herb Shumaker told ksco that the dry vegetation was ignited by sparks flying from a malfunctioning power pole (off of old stage road and old natividad road). the flames were extinguished after charring a 5-foot-by-30-foot patch of grass. No injuries were reported. Pg &e crews were at the scene for several hours working to repair the broken equipment. No significant power outages were reported.