Dr. Wallach starts the show discussing Paula Deen from the Food Network's "Paula's Best Dishes" show. This week she announced that she has been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. Apparantly she found out 3 years ago but didn't go public becaused wanted to put together a campaign which is being called "Diabetes in a New Light". She's also agreed to be a paid spokeswoman for Novo Nordisk phamaceutical company that make diabetes medications. Doc finds fault with her when in the article she says diabetes is inhereted, it's about age and race. The only thing she got right that it is related to lifestyle.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug Winfrey and Dr. Wallach discuss a news article about getting a second medical opinion. After a study found that more than half of all women getting annual mamograms will get false positive tests. The article also has a list of the most common health challenges that are misdiagnosed by primary care physicians. It also outlines the story of a woman who was origially told she probably had cervical cancer. After a second opinion she eventually found out she had Stage IV follicular lymphoma.
- Bob's mother is experiencing memory loss and depression.
- David has a follow-up call for a previous question regarding axiety disorder.
- Tammy's cousin has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia.
- Ronnie has torn cartilage in his shoulder from a sports injury.
- Rainie has follow-up questions from a previous call regarding her husband's diagnosis of deformans spondylitits.
- Brandy's 5 year old daugher has been vomiting at night for several nights.
Call Dr. Wallach's live radio program weekdays from noon until 1pm pacific time at 831-685-1080 or toll free at 888-379-2552.