Pharmacist Ben Fuchs fills in for Dr. Wallach. Ben discusses a couple of news articles the first concerns a study that found the drug Lipitor in high doses reduced the risk of strokes. Ben asserts that although that is true Lipitor also greatly increases the risk of bleeding. The second article is about the 8 foods that cause 90% of the food allergies suffered by 11 million Americans. Ben also discusses the virtues of eating eggs for good health and a boosted immune system.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug Winfrey and Ben Fuchs continue discussing eggs and their important role in good health.
- Andre has two questions the first concerns his daughter who is a diabetic suffering neuropathies in her feet. Next he asks Ben about a one year old with congenital ear canal closures.
- Evora also has two questions the first concerning a friend who had polio as a child. Second she has questions regarding her sister who has interconnective tissue degeneration.
- Barbara has been diagnosed with extreme fibromyalgia.
Pharmacist Ben Fuchs fills in for Dr. Wallach. Ben discusses a recent news article tauting fruit as a good alternative for sweet snacks. Ben disagrees asserting that the fruit does have good nutrients and fiber. But that fruit is loaded with sugar.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Ben discuss a news article concerning a done at the Scripps Research Institute. The study was looking into ways to shut down the "hunger hormone" ghrelin. Researchers beiieve that regulation of this hormone could lead to an obesity vaccine.
- Peggy's mother-in-law has a chronic cough and elevated white cell count.
- Pamela has questions regarding greying hair and mineral deficiencies.
- Roy has been experiencing inflammation in his feet.
Dr. Wallach discusses the problem of obesity and weight gain in America. Citing the statistic that nearly two thirds of American adults are over weight and one third are obese. Asserting that the various fad diets won't work if people don't deal with the root cause. Doc recommends his "Hell's Kitchen" book as a resource that explains why this epidemic has occurred an the U.S. Also recommending the "Ferret Fat Pack", "Nature's Whey" nutrition bars, "Chocolate Lover's Dream Diet" and "Slender FX" as possible solutions to weight loss.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug Winfrey and Dr. Wallach discuss two recent news articles. The first concerns a report put out by the American Academy of Pediatrics. The reports states 24,000 children a year are treated in hopitals for injuries received while riding in a shopping cart. With two thirds of those injuries involving the head and neck. Next Doug and Doc discuss a study done by researchers at Yale University. The researchers exposed fetal mice to frequent and prolonged ultrasounds. Discovering that the ultrasounds disrupt brain development in the unborn mice. Previous studies also found brain anomalies linked to ultarsound use in human fetuses.
- Shawn was recently diagnosed with Grave's disease.
- Ann has discovered a soft tumor on her pelvic bone.
- Kathy has three questions, the first regarding the safety of microwaving eggs. Next she asks Dr. Wallach if it is ok to use powdered milk in her "Nature's Whey" shakes. Finally Kathy asks about a 140 pound dog that is suffering seizures.
- Ginny is a alcoholic looking for a non-chemical to quit the booze.