Pharmacist Ben Fuchs fills in for Dr. Wallach. Ben dedicates the show to his friend Tommy Cole who recently died from a heart attack at the age of 42. Ben goes on the importance of proper diet and nutritional supplementation for good heart health. Ben points out that although forties isn't tradionally thought of as a time to be concerned about heart health. That's actually the time that damage from life long bad habits begins to show.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Pharmacist Ben discuss a recent news article regarding the banning of certain types of plastic. The city of San Francisco has banned plastics that contain bisphenol A. Sometimes labelled on products with a number seven. Several studies have linked the plastics to breast cancer, prostate cancer, diabetes, miscarriages and in one study female mice exposed to BPA (bisphenol A) showed brain and behavior traits typical of male mice.
- Athena has a 4 year old with an ear infection that doctors want to treat with several rounds of antibiotics.
- Will has a 4 month old baby with acid reflux, doctors have prescribed Previced.
- Ron has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy.
Dr. Wallach discusses his new book the "Black Gene Lies" a book refuting the assumption that some diseases hit some ethinic groups at greater percentage. Also mentioning Dr. Jennifer Daniels CD "Slave Quarter Cures". Doc mentions a ongoing lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson regarding disk implants that are failing in patients.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Dr. Wallach discuss a news article concerning a recent government study on bariatric surgical procedures. With 30% of adults obese in the U.S. there has been a sharp increase in these procedures, especially since Medicare has begun paying for the operations. The study conducted by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality found that almost 40% of bariatric patients experience complications with six months of the procedure. Sometimes more than doubling the overall cost if the patient has to be readmitted to the hospital.
- Lydia has a friend diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic disorder).
- Larry's father has been diagnosed with heart blockage. His doctor wants to put a stint in and put the father on blood thinners.
- Kathy had a breast implant that ruptured several years ago causing her several health challenges.
- Lynn's sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer and her doctor told he to not take vitamins and minerals.