Dr. Wallach starts the show discussing the recent heat wave across the country and the increasing number of people suffering heat stroke. Asserting that although the heat definately plays a role a lack of minerals also contributes to heat stroke. Doc also mentions a recent news article regarding weight loss and the will power it takes to stay on a diet. Contending that the cravings people have are due to mineral deficiencies and if dieters address that problem the cravings will subside.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Dr. Wallach discuss a recent news article regarding the growing "reprocessing" industry in the medical field. This "reprocessing" refers to the re-using of medical devices that are designed as disposible. In fact this grew from a $20 million industry in 2000 to $87 million in 2004. The FDA and hopitals and companies involved in "reprocessing" say the practice is safe while the manufacturors of "single use" devices disagree.
- Margaret is calling back regarding a rash she's having difficulty clearing up.
- Sheila has a cat diagnosed with colon cancer and another cat with constipation.
- Rachelle has questions concerning the use of Youngevity's "Slender FX" product.
- Kim has been diagnosed with a fatty liver.
Pharmacist Ben Fuchs fills in for Dr. Wallach. Ben dedicates the show to his friend Tommy Cole who recently died from a heart attack at the age of 42. Ben goes on the importance of proper diet and nutritional supplementation for good heart health. Ben points out that although forties isn't tradionally thought of as a time to be concerned about heart health. That's actually the time that damage from life long bad habits begins to show.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Pharmacist Ben discuss a recent news article regarding the banning of certain types of plastic. The city of San Francisco has banned plastics that contain bisphenol A. Sometimes labelled on products with a number seven. Several studies have linked the plastics to breast cancer, prostate cancer, diabetes, miscarriages and in one study female mice exposed to BPA (bisphenol A) showed brain and behavior traits typical of male mice.
- Athena has a 4 year old with an ear infection that doctors want to treat with several rounds of antibiotics.
- Will has a 4 month old baby with acid reflux, doctors have prescribed Previced.
- Ron has been diagnosed with Bell's palsy.