Dr. Wallach discusses his new book the "Black Gene Lies" a book refuting the assumption that some diseases hit some ethinic groups at greater percentage. Also mentioning Dr. Jennifer Daniels CD "Slave Quarter Cures". Doc mentions a ongoing lawsuits against Johnson & Johnson regarding disk implants that are failing in patients.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Dr. Wallach discuss a news article concerning a recent government study on bariatric surgical procedures. With 30% of adults obese in the U.S. there has been a sharp increase in these procedures, especially since Medicare has begun paying for the operations. The study conducted by the Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality found that almost 40% of bariatric patients experience complications with six months of the procedure. Sometimes more than doubling the overall cost if the patient has to be readmitted to the hospital.
- Lydia has a friend diagnosed with RSD (reflex sympathetic disorder).
- Larry's father has been diagnosed with heart blockage. His doctor wants to put a stint in and put the father on blood thinners.
- Kathy had a breast implant that ruptured several years ago causing her several health challenges.
- Lynn's sister has been diagnosed with breast cancer and her doctor told he to not take vitamins and minerals.
Dr. Wallach talks about a recent news story regarding the destruction of several chickens in Thailand and China that were infected with the avian flu. Asserting that so far the disease has killed 180 humans and it's only a matter of time until human to human infection occur. Doc outlines several ways for people to prepare for a possible pandemic.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Dr. Wallach discuss a report published in the Journal of the American College of Cardiology. The report came from data analyzed by Dr. Dariush Mozaffarian of Harvard Medical School. The study found a link between the consumption of broiled or baked fish and healthier heart rhythms. Those that eat fish once a week had slower heart rates compared to those who ate fish less than once a month. The study also noted that the intake of fish five times a week had even healthier heart rhythms. The intake of fried fish was not associated with healthier heart function.
- Dennis has two questions the first concerns the mylan sheath in the brain. Second he asks Dr. Wallach about a central retinal vein occlusion.
- Larry has questions concerning the different types of vitamin A and liver health.
- Timmy's wife has been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis.
- Lydia asks Dr. Wallach about RSD (reflex sympatheic dystrophy).
Dr. Wallach discusses story of the 16 year old boy who has Hodgkin's disease. The boy had chemo therapy over a year ago and is refusing the therapy now that the disease has returned. A court ordered the boy to take the chemo-therapy and gave the state shared custody with the parents. Also Dr. Wallach discusses new cases of avian flu in China. Finally Doc discusses the increase in bariatric surgery now that Medicare will pay for the procedure.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug and Dr. Wallach discuss a news article regarding a recent Institue of Medicine report. The report states that 1 out of every 8 babies born in the U.S. are born prematurely. An increase of more than 30% in the past two decades.
- Mary is having problems with Barb vaginal discharge due to a bacterial infection.
- Barb has been diagnosed with hypertension.
- Ginny asks Dr. Wallach about eye floaters.
- Kelly has been diagnosed with Guillain-Barre syndrome.