Dr. Wallach addresses the issue of weight gain and obesity. Contending that no diet or weight loss program will be effective over the long haul unless people deal with the root cause. Asserting that the root cause is "pica and cribbing" which is a nutritional defeciency.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug Winfrey and Dr. Wallach continue discussing the weight loss topic. Discussing a news story that outlines what the author believes will aid in weight loss. The author contends there are three main parts to attaining a "flat stomach". First is digestion followed by proper amounts of "good bacteria" to and finally choosing the right diet with plenty of fresh foods and staying away from processed foods.
- Will has questions regarding food cravings.
- Kathy has a cat that has a tumor.
- Terri's dog has been diagnosed with cataracts.
- Jenny's father has been diagnosed with metastatic carcinoma.
Dr. Wallach discusses weight loss to start the show. As many as 85% of Americans who make a New Year's resolution vow to lose weight. But only a small fraction actually atain their goal. Dr. Wallach outlines several weight loss strategies and products.
Pearls of Wisdom
Doug Winfrey and Dr. Wallach continue discussing the weight loss topic. As Doug outlines a couple of news stories the first concerning recent action by the Federal Trade Commision fining four marketers of weight loss products. The FTC contending the companies made false unsubstantiated claims. Second Doug and Doc discusss a study done by Cornell University that found many people eating low-fat foods actually got more calories than if they had eaten regular versions.
- Heddy has two questions the first concerning degenerative disk disease. Second she has questions regarding her dog that has digestive problems.
- Jean has a friend with an in-operative brain tumor behind the pituitary gland.
- Tim has a dog with hip dysplasia.
- Susan asks Dr. Wallach about gastric bypass surgery.